It’s finally that time of the year again: The El Paso County Fair is getting set to kick off on July 19th. The fair is well known throughout the region and is expected to draw visitors from all over the state. The fair first began in 1905 as a modest potato festival and has grown into week-long event that takes place in a facility boasting 40 acres and several buildings in Calhan, CO. The following are a few of the events and activities that you’ll be able to check out if you attend the 109th annual El Paso County Fair.
- The Crabtree Carnival – From Ferris wheels to roller coasters to the many other games and activities, the Crabtree Carnival is the perfect way to spend the afternoon with the entire family. Unlimited ride wristbands are only $25 each while individual tokens are $1 each. The Crabtree Carnival will run throughout the entire week.
- The Gold Canyon Gunfighters – Get a look at the past as a group of historians from all over the state and country come together to perform several skits based on events that occurred in the 1800s. Action and humor combine to provide audiences with a fun way to learn about the history of the area. You’ll be able to check out The Gold Canyon Gunfighters every day of the week.
- Joe Gandelman Comedian Ventriloquist – For some hilarious family-friendly entertainment, be sure to catch Joe Gandelman perform throughout the week. His ventriloquist acts include characters such as John Raven and Big Bear Meows as well as animals such as an elephant, shark, and several dogs.
- Kid’s Pedal Tractor Pull – If your kids have a competitive streak or just want to have a bit of fun, enter them into the Kid’s Pedal Tractor Pull. The free competition is open to kids aged 4 to 12.
- Exotic Petting Zoo – The petting zoo is a great way to meet some of the animals at the fair close up. Your kids will be delighted to be able to pet exotic animals such as kangaroos, camels, zebras, monkeys, and more.
- Creatures of the Night Nature Program – Stephanie Lesar will hold this incredibly interesting and informative program twice on July 24th at 11:30 am and 1:15 pm. Here you will be able to learn about some of the many nocturnal creatures of Colorado, including bats, bugs, owls, and more.
- Wild About Monkeys – Everybody loves monkeys, so be sure to check out this amazing show. Managed by Kevin and Martina, two experienced trainers, this is a great way to be entertained as well as informed. The Wild About Monkeys show is a traveling exhibition and the only one that boasts trained baboons.
- Demolition Derby – Taking place on the last day of the fair at 6:00 pm, the Demolition Derby will contain numerous vehicle classes that include compact, chain, compact chain, small truck, and limited weld. You’ll even be able to enjoy live music performed by the Ronnie Davis Band in between crashes! This is one of the most popular attractions at the fair, so be sure to pick up tickets ahead of time.
- Exit West Band – Listen and dance to one of the best country rock bands in the area as they perform at the end of the night on the last day of the fair.
These are just a few attractions you’ll be able to enjoy at the El Paso County Fair. There will be plenty of food, beverages, activities, contests, and more. With over 100 years of tradition, the fair knows how to please. The El Paso County Fair and Events Complex is located at 366 10th Street in Calhan, Colorado.
The El Paso County Fair is just one of the many events that make the Colorado Springs area a great community to live in. If you’re interested in finding your next home, contact Park Avenue Properties of Colorado Springs or start your search for Colorado Springs homes.